Irish Olympian Michael Conlan is very focused on securing his world title shot.
Conlan (15-0, 8 KOs) is the WBO’s mandatory challenger to bantamweight world champion Stephen Fulton.
Fulton is already lined up to face WBC champion Brandon Figueroa in a high-stakes unification on September 11.
Conlan was in action last month, when he won a close twelve round majority decision over Ionut Baluta.
At the moment Conlan plans to stay busy by moving forward with another fight on a date in August.
After that outing, he wants to lock in his crack at the Fulton vs. Figueroa winner. The winner of Fulton-Figueroa, says Conlan, will have 90-days to make good on the WBO’s mandatory obligation.
“I definitely think I’m on the brink [of challenging for the WBO title] but these boxing politics just pisses me off,” Conlan told Metro.co.uk.
“Fulton, who is a fantastic champion, already had the fight lined up for 11 September for the winner of a fight that hadn’t even happened yet [Figueroa vs Nery]. It is crazy, it hadn’t even happened yet. And he was fighting the winner. I don’t understand why but I do understand the game. And I understand how it is played. So I know now I’m in that mandatory position still and that mandatory will have to be announced right after that date on 11 September and they will have 90 days to face me.
“That’s how it seems it is going to happen but, in the meantime, I’ve got to box, I’ve got to stay active. I will have another one in between. There have been some names thrown about but that looks like it is going be the first weekend or second weekend of August.”